Thursday, March 9, 2017

The Jabberwocky

So why does a person retire? The answer to that question should be obvious. We retire because we can. We've put in our time, earned the choice, and decided that it is time to retire and move on to the next chapter in our lives.

The worst thing we can ever do is not retire.

Why do some people not retire? They're afraid. They're afraid that they won't know what to do. They're afraid that they won't have the money. Marketers have done a great job selling the need for pre-retirement planning (along with planning your own funeral).

So why did I title this post "The Jabberwocky"?

"The Jabberwocky" was a poem written by Lewis Carroll. (Any reference to the poem in the Johnny Depp films of this creature has no basis in the mind of Carroll. The Disney cartoon is more faithful to Carroll than the crap that was spewed forth by Hollywood in the last 10 years. I can be a movie snob, and when I walked out of the theatre I was as upset as when the Electoral College elected Trump as President.)  The poem really has no meaning. It's nothing but doggerel.

Your fears have no more meaning as does "The Jabberwocky". (Give me a moment whilst I dig my collar out as I'm going to switch to an issue of faith.)

Our world has many religious beliefs. I was raised in the Methodist sect of the Christian religion. As I age I have found peace in the teachings of the Buddha too. I had the chance to discuss religion with one of the greatest entertainers who was able to bring laughter and peace to millions across our war torn planet. His name was Red Skelton.  I'll never forget Red telling me that there was truth in all religions.

In Christianity Jesus the Christ is credited with talking about faith, and how with faith we will be able to move mountains. Remember that little mustard seed? No? Try this updated version of the necessity of faith.


"A fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help.

Soon a man in a rowboat came by and the fellow shouted to the man on the roof, "Jump in, I can save you."
The stranded fellow shouted back, "No, it's OK, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me."
So the rowboat went on.
Then a motorboat came by. "The fellow in the motorboat shouted, "Jump in, I can save you."
To this the stranded man said, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."
So the motorboat went on.
Then a helicopter came by and the pilot shouted down, "Grab this rope and I will lift you to safety."
To this the stranded man again replied, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."
So the helicopter reluctantly flew away.
Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven. He finally got his chance to discuss this whole situation with God, at which point he exclaimed, "I had faith in you but you didn't save me, you let me drown. I don't understand why!"
To this God replied, "I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?"

When it's time for you to retire don't worry about what what could happen, just jump in that first boat that goes floating by. Trust in your heart, and realize that you've made your own choice, and take the next step in your life. 
If you need a reminder, tape a mustard seed where you'll see it first thing in the morning, and the last place you'll see it as you turn out the light at night.
Keely and I have been talking to our friends about "Puddles the Clown". You can find Puddles on YouTube.  Please check him out. Puddles is awesome! If I cried, you will too...
Here's a link to Puddles:  https://youtu.be/ItXygU9SJCA
Until the next time remember what DrSidney Freedman said on MASH. "Take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the Ice!"

Watch this site for "The Gator"!
Rev. Bob


No comments:

Post a Comment